CASTING FOR EXCELSIOR
Salvo Lombardo is looking for dancers and performers, with no distinctions of sex, gender, origins, for his new production Excelsior, which will be presented in September at the Festival Oriente Occidente in Rovereto (Italy).
Excelsior is co-produced by Salvo Lombardo / Chiasma, Festival Oriente Occidente, Festival Fabbrica Europa, Romaeuropa Festival, Théâtre National de la danse Chaillot, in collaboration with Residenze Coreografiche Lavanderia a Vapore / Piemonte dal Vivo, Teatro della Toscana / Pontedera Teatro, Spellbound Contemporary Ballet and others partners to be defined.
There are two pre-selection steps, in Rome and in Florence, and a final selection workshop in Collegno (Turin). Candidates can choose to partecipate to only one of the two pre-selection steps, and then a maximum of ten participants will be selected and admitted to the final selection of 4 days.
– experiences in experimental practices and ready to listen
– strong physical preparation and excellent technique of contemporary dance
– improvisation and composition skills (alone and in group)
– predisposition to intensive work periods
– availability for the whole period of rehearsals
Furthermore it will be positively evaluated:
– a solid knowledge of classical dance techniques
– ability in different expressive and artistic disciplines, and vocal abilty
– a wide cultural background and a critical spirit
To apply you have to send
– curriculum vitae with personal informations and date of birth and photos (naming each file with the name and surname of the candidate);
– link and password to a video containing a short self-presentation and a movement improvisation that expresses your background.
Videos must last 3 minutes max. and must be uploaded to vimeo or youtube; (videos sent differently will not be accepted).
The materials must be sent to the mail address: email@example.com specifying in the subject line: name_surname_city you choose for the pre-selection (Rome or Florence).
– Florence: March 17th, 2018 (at the Teatro dell’Opera di Firenze)
– Rome: March 20th 2018 (at The Dance Industry / Daf – Dance Arts Faculty)
– Collegno (Turin): from 27th to 30th March 2018 (at the Lavanderia a vapore)
– Applications deadline is on March 10th 2018
– Pre-selected people will be notified on March 13th 2018
– For the pre-selection steps (Rome or Florence) candidates have to cover travel and accommodation costs.
– For the final selection in Collegno, the production will cover food and accommodation costs for each participant.
The rehearsals period (about two months) will be divided between June, July and August 2018. The show will go on tour from September 2018.
The selected artists will be guaranteed a cover of accommodation, food and travel costs and a fee, both for the rehearsals and for the tour.
Salvo Lombardo is an Italian performer, choreographer and director who bases his work on a constant research of a relation between theatre, dance and visual art. He lives and works in Rome. His works were presented in the main Festivals and Theatres in Italy. In 2015-2016 he was resident choreographer at Anghiari Dance Hub where he worked at the project Casual Bystanders based on a choreographic pattern representing an archive of “not-extraordinary” gestures proceeding from kinetic fragments of common people observed in public places. From 2017 he is one of the associated artists of the Festival Oriente Occidente, main co-producer of the performance Present Continuous inspired by a memory system of gestures which stem from a night’s work at a music club and also the interactive installation in augmented reality titled Reappearances conceived for the MART Museum of Contemporary Art of Trento and Rovereto and involving the participation of the local community. In 2017 he was guest choreographer at Aura Dance Theatre of Kaunas (LIT) for which he created the performance Twister, co-produced by Fabbrica Europa, studying the relationship between gestures memory, play and sociality.